Menu

by Dee » 2007-02-03 10:14:22 #5498

Well today, Feb. 2nd is Groundhog Day in Pennsylvania. Depends on what area you live as to what groundhog "saw his shaPunxutawney Phil." The old german folklore is that if he sees his shadow, we will have 6 more weeks of Winter and if he doesn't, we will have an early Spring. I'm going with "Punxsutawney Phil", this groundhog did not see his shadow. And so far, York, PA has not had any snow.

by Dee » 2007-02-03 17:07:42 #5499

I messed up that info...correction..."saw his shadow" Punxutawney Phil did NOT see his shadow. Ohhh!...we got a thin covering of snow last night and the temp is 24degrees. til later.

by Dee » 2007-02-06 08:50:20 #5500

That damm groundhog is crazy!...It was 9 degrees this morning and has now warmed up to 15 degrees...I hope he freezes his #** off! til later.

by Dee » 2007-02-13 10:35:39 #5501

Well, it's on the way...snow! It's to start Tuesday morning into Wednesday. For me that does NOT mean a "milk and bread run", it means that I will have to cancel my craft class for the 2nd week in a row, due to weather. UGH!!! Our Craft show is March 23-24 and it's seems that I have more crafts in my house then we have made at church!

Tomorrow, I plan to make filled red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for all my Valentine's. If you have never heard of "Red Velvet Cake" , it's a cake made with cocoa and 1 oz of red food coloring and it turns a a lovely red. Don't forget your valentine, it's a perfect time to not only say "I Love You but to also show it. It doesn't have to be expensive it just needs to be an expression of love! Bake something, make a favorite dinner, write a poem, make a coupon book good for his/her favorites, and of course there are flowers and candy. Don't waste your money on roses, they don't last long enough, get a big beautiful mixed bouquet. What ever you decide, Just don't forget!

Well, I'm back to crafting...til later...Dee

by Dee » 2007-02-15 11:57:27 #5502

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Snow...Sleet and freezing rain!!! I'm sure many didn't get their Valentine's today. Me...I usually don't cook (hubby does) so I made a lovely chicken cream sauce over rice tonight. What did he get me?....Just having him with me is all I need. Til later...Dee

by Adam Lyttle » 2007-02-16 16:54:34 #5503

I like your new avatar @Dee smile

by Dee » 2007-02-20 12:24:23 #5504

I'M GETTING A CAT!!!!....A wonderful surprise!...as you may have noticed from the avators that I have used...I love cats! We had one when I was a little girl, but none as an adult. I have been yearning for a cat for over a year. Although, I haven't been talking about it, hubby knew I wanted one but he just wasn't sure about it, so I just "planted the seed" and quietly waited. Last week, he came home and out of the blue said, "Okay, you can get a cat!...I couldn't believe it! It probably won't be til closer to spring. First he agreed to put a "cat door" on our door that goes into the basement as that is where I would like to put the litter box. We want to choose an Irish name for the boy or girl cat. We will get our cat from the animal shelter and I was thinking of getting a young cat but not a kitten. Also, I love orange cats but am open to one that will be a lap cat. Now here is where you come in...I'd like suggestions for Irish names and also any tips you can give me in the care of a cat, as I've never cared for one before. If you have a cat, I'd love to here from you...Thanks! til later...Dee

by Adam Lyttle » 2007-02-20 14:29:26 #5505

I love cats, here is a picture of ours:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88453254@N00/167541165/

by Dee » 2007-02-21 09:59:46 #5506

Sully has such a sweet face, she looks much like our son and his families cat, Belle. After I baby sat Belle last summer, I knew I really wanted a cat. Thanks for sharing and I also enjoyed the other photo's. Hubby and I both love photography. Till later.

by Alexandra Cornejo » 2007-03-05 11:28:19 #5507

Hello Im 27 and Ive found this site which I didnt know existed, and love it now!
I just love solitaire, which I only play it when Im extremely boredsmile

by Dee » 2007-03-12 13:24:08 #5508

Hi Alexandra, Welcome to Solitaire Craving and believe me, the title "fits."

Well folks...the crafts are all made and this week, we will finish up by making peanut butter eggs. Our bazaar is March 23-24 and I'll let you know how we do! After that...I get to start shopping and preparing for getting my cat!!!!...we will make our first trip to the animal shelter. til later! So...so...busy!

by Dee » 2007-03-15 07:16:52 #5509

We made peanut butter eggs, chocolate raison clusters and peanut clusters at church this morning for our bazaar nest week....we had so much fun but...Oh my! what a mess we made!!! I am so so tired from everything and will be so happy when the bazaar is over next week!!! til later!

by SuzyQ » 2007-03-16 17:22:57 #5510

Dee, Hope your bazaar goes well. I used to bake a lot, but I don't do much any more. Too many people, including me, are watching their weight. At our church coffee hour each week, different people provide the treats. Some weeks there are only sweets it seems. I eat a few bites, but not as much as I wouId like. Some people have better resistance and eat nothing. More are interested in the fruit and veggies if there are some. I have started trying to be sure to provide some nutritious fruits and veggies along with some homemade baked goods when it's my turn. It's a chance to do the baking I love plus provide for those who shouldn't be eating the sweets for sure because of diabetes, etc. Of course, the homemade things entice more people than storebought, but at least there is something for everyone.

by SuzyQ » 2007-03-16 17:35:00 #5511

Dee, your avatar really is cute. I love special animal photos like that. I love animals, as long as they belong to someone else! We had a dog and cats when I was young, but my mother did all the caring for them. My daughter got an Alaskan Malamute puppy about 10 years ago and it was just TOO much for all of us when it got over 100 lb. Unfortunately we didn't do our homework before we said we'd take the dog. When my husband's illness got worse, he didn't want to be bothered by it, and we had a difficult time finding a new home for it. I really don't want another one. I just enjoy other people's when I visit them, and that's enough for me.

by Dee » 2007-03-25 07:34:51 #5512

Okay everyone...The bazaar is over! We had 2 days of rain but the Lord Blessed us! We had so many people "come in" out of the rain. Many folks gave us wonderful compliments and told us that they have been to many craft bazaars, but have never seen such a wonderful variety of beautifully made crafts. We do not invite vendors to our bazaars, all our crafts are made by a small group of 9-13 women. I will tell you how much we made for our church next week!...I'm just happy to be able to rest my poor tired ostioarthritis body! Til Later!!!

by Dee » 2007-03-29 11:23:31 #5513

We have our total from our Easter'Spring Bazaar & Bake Sale. $2,310! Our Craft guild will be presenting $2,000 to our church on Sunday.. The balance, we will keep in our treasury to cover costs of supplies for purchasing materials for our future crafts. We will participate in a Fall Block Party at our church in the early Fall and also plan a Christmas Bazaar the weekend before or after Thanksgiving. We plan to take 2 months off and start up again in June...maybe I can recouperate til then. My son is going to set up a web site for us. I'll let you know after we have it ready and you can check us out! til later!

by margaret benoit » 2007-03-29 12:41:23 #5514

Hi, I'm Margaret and I am definitely addicted to solitaire! I tried many sites for solitaire and finally found one that I think I am going to have a blast with!

by SuzyQ » 2007-03-30 06:36:33 #5515

Dee, congrats on the wonderful profits from your bazaar. It's amazing how much good can come from the work of a small group of dedicated people. You really worked hard I know, and it's no fun with an arthritic body. You don't need to tell me about it! I have been in a lot of pain and inability to use my left knee very well since Jan. 4. The surgeon who did my other knee replacement says I don't need a replacement for THIS one, but plans to do arthroscopic surgery on it in July to clean out behind the kneecap and I hope that does the trick. I didn't have all this pain with the other knee. It just was caving in and affecting my back problems, too. Now THIS problem is affecting my back, too. I had a cortisone shot Jan. 10 that took away ALL the pain, but only briefly. It didn't last long at all, only a couple weeks. I am going to have another one in April before I go to Riviera Maya (near Cancun) with my younger daughter and 9 year old grandson on vacation. I hope the timing is right so I can be relatively painfree on my trip. I won't be doing much if I'm in the condition I'm in now. I've at least temporarily retired totally from my job as a substitute teacher. I managed to work 4 days for a teacher at the high school a while back as I knew her classroom was only half way across campus AND actually had a bathroom IN IT, about the only one on campus like that. Two days I was about in tears trying to hobble to the room in excruciating pain, though. Once I was there I didn't have to leave all day, and I just alternated sitting and walking slowly all day and survived. But I learned from this job that there are few I'm going to be able to take on until my knee is better. The high school campus is huge, as you can imagine with over 4000 students! And in elementary school, I would have to do WAY TOO MUCH standing and walking, with 15 minutes yard duty thrown in, too. SO I've been spending a lot of time on the computer checking out quilting shops and have ordered some fabric to begin quilting. Yesterday I went to an art gallery where there was a wonderful speaker who showed slides and spoke and showed her silk painting, dyeing, and quilting work. I got really inspired. Well, that's all for now, as I'm going to meet the man in my life for lunch to celebrate the 4 years since the day we met. Perhaps you remember we're both widowed and met on the internet. ONE OF THESE DAYS we will hopefully be able to live together on a permanent basis. The first 3 years we saw quite a bit of each other, but the last one has been mostly by phone! Well, Dee, enjoy some well-earned rest before starting on work for your next bazaar.

by SuzyQ » 2007-03-30 06:39:15 #5516

Welcome, Margaret. I hope you DO enjoy our site, stick around, and soon feel like you're part of a group of friends from all over the world. We sure have fun competeing with each other. Tell us a little about yourself, please.

by chilliemander » 2007-03-30 13:30:22 #5517

Hey all. It's my first day of Spring Break, and I'm soooooo excited! I think most of us teachers were way more excited than the kids about Break. I will not be on here next week, as I will be out of town for a bit, and my relatives do not have fast internet connection, so I'll just wait until I get home to play what I've missed. It'll be interesting how many spots in rank I'll lose. Hopefully, I can get them back. Anyway, Dee, wherever do you get your pictures? They are some of the cutest! I am a huge animal lover and a funny or amusing animal picture just makes my day. Have a wonderful Easter, all.