Menu

by Dee » 2006-12-02 18:14:02 #5478

Chocolate Cream Filled Cupcakes/Dee McNally
1-pkg chocolate cake mix (I use Duncan Hines Chocolate fudge, 1-8 oz. cream cheese softened, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar, 1-6 oz. pkg semi sweet morsels, dash salt.
Prepare cake mix as desired. or you can make Hersheys cupcakes or your favorite chocolate batter. Fill paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Cream the cheese with the sugar, beat in salt and egg. Stir in the morsels. Drop 1 rounded teaspoon into each cupcake. Do not push down...the filling will drop down as the batter bakes. Bake as package or receipe directs.

Choice of 2 frostings:
Whipped Cream Frostiing/Dee McNally
1 cup milk, 5 tablespoons flour, 1 stick butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup shortening (Crisco), 1 teaspoon vanilla, dash salt.
Blend milk and flowr in saucepan and cook until thickened...stir...stir...stir...cool. Combine remaining ingredients in mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the cooled mixture, blending well.

Chocolate Frosting/Dee McNally
1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup melted shortening (not oil), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/3 cup milk, 3-1/2 cups or 1 box 10x sugar, 1/4 cup Hershey's regular cocoa, 1/4 cup Hershey's dark cocoa.

If you're a chocoholic, use the chocolate frosting! These cupcakes are always a surprise with the filling in the middle and sooooo very good!

Combine melted shorteningand butter with cocoa, slat. Then add milk and vanilla, add the sugar in 3 parts.

by Dee » 2006-12-05 09:44:56 #5479

Today, I went to our first advent lunch at church. I remember that when I was working, I always wanted to go to the advent lunchons and now that I'm retired, I can! It was great, we had Italian spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, fruit cups and assorted cakes. It's a wonderful time to be with friends, sing some songs, hear a few Christmas stories and enjoy the true spirit of the holiday.

I just brought up some decorations. This year, I have decided to decorate the house in all snowmen. Don't ever tell someone you like something unless you're prepared to start a collection...one year when shopping with family, I mentioned "I Love Snowmen!"...Now I have 6 large plastic storage containers filled with them.

Next week, I will start cookie baking and will share some receipes with you. It would be great to hear some of your favorite cookies receipes from around the world. And I would love a receipe for "Christmas Pudding" from England. Waiting to hear from you!

by Keggie » 2006-12-06 11:24:02 #5480

@Dee our family recipe for Christmas puddings is 7oz breadcrumbs, 4oz plain flour, 8oz suet, 10oz raisins, 16oz cuurants, 8oz sultanas, 5oz mixed peel, 7oz brown sugar, 4oz marmalade, 3oz grated apple, 2oz grated carrot, 1 teaspoon mixed spice, half teaspoon grated nutmeg and cinnamon, pinch of salt, 2 eggs, 3and half fluid oz brown ale, 1 fluid oz (about a tablespoon) dark rum. Mix ingredients well in large miing bowl. Traditionally everyone in the family stirs the mixture and makes a wish. In the past we also put a silver threepenny bit in for luck.
After mixing well transfer to lightly greased glass pyrex basin(s) pressing it down firmly. Cover with cooking parchment and then put foil over it and tie very firmly. Steam for 6 to 8 hours. Ideally then store in cool place to mature for 3 or 4 weeks before using (we've usually kept one for Easter). When you want to use turn out of basin and put sprig of holly on top, sprinkle with brandy and set it alight before cutting slices and heating thoroughly in a microwave (we used to steam them again but microwaving is much easier). Serve with cream or bandy butter.
I've given quantitities in oz as I don't know the conversion to cups but you don't need to be too accurate as there are lots of variations on the recipe eg put Christmas pudding and Delia (our nearest eqivalent to Martha Stewart) into Google and follow the link. You could also scale down the quantities of course. smile

by Dee » 2006-12-07 10:22:10 #5481

Thanks Keggie...It really sounds good!...And I will try it...what a wonderful tradition!

by Dee » 2006-12-07 16:53:51 #5482

Keggie...I forgot to ask...what is bandy butter and is there a recipe for cream sauce?

by Keggie » 2006-12-08 12:13:33 #5483

Dee I'm afraid bandy butter was a typo - it should have read brandy butter. We blend about 4oz unsalted butter with 4oz soft brown sugar until it looks pale and creamy and then mix in about 4 tablespoons of brandy, transfer the mixture to a dish and refridgerate well. The amounts can be adjusted to taste. We either serve double cream as is or more usually beat it until thick so it goes with the fresh fruit salad etc.

by Dee » 2006-12-08 12:35:25 #5484

Keggie...Thanks!

by Dee » 2006-12-12 16:02:20 #5485

Okay...the Christmas cards are in the mail and today is the start of baking. This is my very favorite cookie receipe as promised! And soooo easy!

Cinnamon Nut Diamonds
Sift together and set aside: 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Put 1 cup soft butter in a mixing bowl and add 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg yoke; beat together until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture and 1/2 cup ground walnuts. Mix well and spread into a greased 15" x 10" jelly roll pan. (I use my hand to press batter down evenly. Brush with 1 slightly beaten egg. Sprinkle the top evenly with 1/2 cup ground walnuts, pushing into the dough. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. While still warm, use a diamond shape cookie cutter and cut into diamonds. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE a diamond shape cookie cutter, don't pass up making these cookies...simply use a knife and cut into squares or oblong shapes. Set on rack to cool. Makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen. Store in airtight container. Can be frozen. They keep and ship well. Enjoy!...

I will be making these cookies and choc. chip, peanut butter dipped half in choc., Macaroons, Scotch cakes and more! Enjoy your baking. Dee P.S. tomorrow (13th) is my birthday, I come of age...65!

by Keggie » 2006-12-14 18:29:14 #5486

Best wishes for your birthday Dee. I got to 65 last July - it's a good age to be smile Your cookie recipe sounds scumptious and I'm looking forward to trying it.

by Dee » 2006-12-18 15:20:54 #5487

We had a lovely surprise last night! Carolers from our church came and entertained us with Christmas carols. There must have been 30 young and old and it was wonderful, listening to the voices in the night sky. Actually our weather has been unusually mild. It may go into the 60's today, no chance of snow for Christmas this year. Even our grass is growing in December!...but Winter will soon arrive.

Also, my prayers have been answered for a young man who I watched grow up. Josh just returned from his 3rd tour of duty in Iraq. He is married and their baby girl, Emmah is due any time now. This family will have a Blessed Christmas!

I saw the movie "The Nativity Story", if you have an opportunity, go see it. I enjoyed it very much. Goerge does not enjoy going to the movies, so I go in the afternoon and it's a special treat for me during the week. I have also started reading again. I just finished reading Ann Rice's book, "The Christ Child". A novel about what Christ's life may have been like when he was 7 years old. I was pleasantly surprised that it was easy reading and enjoyed it. Now, I am about to start a fiction by Jeff Guinn, "The Autobiography of Santa Claus", followed by "How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas" and "The Great Santa Search". These 3 books will become classics. I think some fun reading is in order for now. I love reading and also history. Those who read understand when I say that you can travel the world with your eyes and mind in a good book.

by Dee » 2006-12-24 18:13:28 #5488

To all my solitaire friends,,,thank you for your friendship this past year. May you be Blessed with Good health, many friends and may there always be a smile in your heart for those around you. My prayer is that if your loved ones are serving in the war, that they come safely home to you...where ever you may be.

by Gine » 2006-12-24 11:55:08 #5489

From Belgium also MERRY CHRISTMAS to all solitaire players!
Especialy to Dee for her peacefull wishes for the hole world!

by Dee » 2007-01-02 10:09:32 #5490

Happy New Year to everyone! In our area, we celebrate New Year's Day by eating pork and sauerkraut. Everyone has to cook sauerkraut to ward away the"evil spirits" in their home. (because it stinks). I guess it's an old German custom, who knows where these things come from. We just do it because, we don't want to "take any chances". Ha!

For New Year's Eve, we went out to dinner with another couple to a chinese restaurant, and then drove around and looked at Christmas lights for an hour, then went to the movies and saw "The Holiday", nice movie. As it was, we were home by midnight. We are longtime friends and we remembered years ago, when we would go to dances and we girls had lovely long gowns, etc

Every town in the area "drops" or "raises" something for New Year's Eve. In York, the White Rose city, we drop a white rose, a neighboring city, Lancaster, the Red rose city, raises a red rose, Lebanon raises lebanon bolonga, Dillsburg a dill pickle, Red Lion has a cigar because years ago, they were known for producing cigars, Carlisle is known for car races and car shows so they have a car, and it goes on and on...quite silly isn't it?

by Keggie » 2007-01-04 07:33:39 #5491

@Dee. Belated Happy New Year to everyone. As you may know, the Yorkists seized the throne (of England) from the Lancastrians back in 1461 so it is interesting that the white and red rose symbols are still in use in your part of the world.

by Dee » 2007-01-04 11:43:13 #5492

Keggie...The 2 cities are still trying to out do each other!

by Dee » 2007-01-09 08:53:32 #5493

Saturday, Pennsylvania broke the high temperature that was set in 1895 of 66 degrees. The high tenperature was set at 67 degrees. I sent the afternoon outside spray painting projects for our craft guild and it was soooo lovely outside! This is not what our "locals" call Farm Show weather. Every January we have a large farm show in the state capital of Harrisburg, and traditionally it usually snows. The skiers are down troden as it has been too warm to even produce artifical snow. Don't worry...winter WILL come!

by Dee » 2007-01-10 18:51:01 #5494

Where ever you may be...January 10th is George and my 48th wedding aniversary! Nothing special planned, we just feel blessed with our life together. On Wednesday, (the 10th) I am having my Craft Guild for a planning meeting for our Easter-Spring Bazaar. I am serving a light breakfast: cranberry-orange scones, chocolate scones, blueberry muffins, fresh fruit salad, honey butter, orange juice, coffee and assorted teas.

Hey Keggie...Do you have any great scone receipes because I am confessing that the ones I am making are from a mix.

by Dee » 2007-01-17 11:10:16 #5495

Craft Guild starts tomorrow and I find myself cleaning up my basement with Christmas stuff all over the place and at the same time digging out and working on Easter and Spring crafts. I guess it finally makes sense to me to see Easter items in January as crafters need the items so they can create the crafts to be ready in time for the Spring craft shows. As Easter is early this year, we will have our Craft Show on March 23-24. We have some great new ideas and hope to do well as our church is in great financial need. I have created and designed topiary's. I spray painted dried hydranglas with lavendar and blue pastel paint to make them look real, they came our beautifully. Too complicated to explain the rest.

My head is spinning in so many directions with ideas, this is what happens to me when I am into crafting. When the show is over, I am totally exhausted!

Has anyone heard from Adam Lyttle? He seems to have disappeared, as he is not playing the game or making any comments.

Well I'll get back to crafting, I am now making a Peter Rabbit Wreath. Til later! Dee

by Dee » 2007-01-24 13:20:08 #5496

Well winter has finally arrived. The temps have dropped to below freezing and we have had a "dusting" of snow. In this area, if there is any forecast of snow, everyone runs to the food markets and stocks up on milk, bread, toilet tissue and junk food. They behave as if a blizzard is coming and the stores will close.

Wednesday is craft guild and I am already worn out with making crafts at home. I made 8 floral toperaries, a Sping wreath and lined 2 large cheese boxes that one of the girls painted scenes onto. She also does gourd art and has made some most unusual pieces. We have discovered that her giraffees are the most popular, but she has made many different animals and also fish! I purchased a few, one of which is a peacock gourd and I love it!

I think I'll try to get to the movies this week. Not sure what I'll see but it will get me out of the house for a couple hours. I usually stay close to home in the winter. The cold air gets into my bones and I really suffer and I never venture out if there is snow or ice on the ground, because of fear of falling.

Went to our Goddaughter Installation Banquet last Saturday eve. She was installed as the first woman President of the York Co. Builders Assoc. She served in the U.S. Coast Guard where she met and married her husband. When they finished their tour of duty she came home and worked with her Father who was a contractor. She has since bought the business and her husband now works with her. He does the office work, she is in the field working and she is good!...and pretty too!

til later...Dee

by Dee » 2007-01-29 12:01:30 #5497

Didn't get to the movies last week, got a cold/sore throat instead. Stayed home from church today and in my p.j.'s. This weekend, I painted ceramic peeps in purple, pink, yellow and blue and then glued tiny clear beads all over them. After tiny black eyes are applied, they look just like the "marshmallow candy peeps" that you buy in the U.S. at Easter time. We also made some "chocolate" ceramic bunnies that look good enough to eat! Tomorrow, if I have enough energy, I will start making 4 pillows with wide pastel lace trim. They are actually kitchen towels with lovely prints! And off to the Dr. in the afternoon. til later...Dee