Menu

Medical Marijuana...comments?

by franco61 » 2013-05-22 11:58:50 #5282

First of all I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. its been a long a winding road for me since the Vietnam War most of which was bad. For close to fifty years now I have been smoking weed most of those years the smoking was for the high not another "medication". I am a combat wounded, combat decorated veteran with the long time evaluation of PTSD I take several legal medications for it and I only smoke now at night before I try to sleep. My dreams are vivid,violet, very scary and i am up several times a night, i sleep with my light on always. The way i look at it the meds help alot when i leave the house (most every thing) needs to be planned. And the weed helps me calm down. I have my own bedroom my dear wife would never get any sleep if we were together. I have been legal for about two months now and it seems strange but it is what it is i guess. Massachusetts kind of jumped into it to fast IMHO. In a silly way I wish it was stricter with who might be eligible because i know i am. So that is folks........comments?

by zaphod » 2013-05-22 15:33:09 #7932

@franco61: I don't know the US standards for the use of medically sanctioned cannabis. You might know that it is a controversial subject as there are no controlled studies about the benefits of it to a degree that physicians would be comfortable as they would know what and why they are prescribing. There are many anecdotal stories like yours about the perceived impact in some conditions as yours and many physicians who sanction the use of cannabis do it because of the perceived benefits and not because we know what it really does and for what symptoms. There are some moves to test cannabis the same way as other drugs produced by the industry. I understand what you write about yourself and understand that the quality of your life has been improved and I am sure that you feel more comfortable about the use since it is supplied "legally" Our experience has been that traumatic head injuries and Post Traumatic Disorders affect the brain in a manner that there is a nearly continuous type of discomfort, like anxiety and if the brain would be continuously on the alert for what might happen, like a type of undercurrent mental anticipation. ( I might not express it clearly in English) and cannabis seem to produce some serenity and a relaxation of the mind.

by CtownChris » 2013-05-23 07:34:17 #7933

2 very thoughtful posts on the subject. I have been an RN for over 30 yrs in a Level I trauma center. Lets just say I am convinced alcohol does more damage then cannabis. You can read between the lines if you want.

by dphifer » 2013-05-23 10:52:42 #7934

Franco61, First of all let me say that what you have told us should not OFFEND anyone. Let those that might be offended walk in your shoes first. I am so sorry for the suffering you endure because of fighting in a war to help the rest of us remain free! I have the highest respect for service men and women. I feel sure I could not cope with it. As for my opinion, if it helps you sleep better or feel better, then use it. Has your doctor tried you on any sleep medication? And what about the anxiety, there are medications for that? You are in my prayers!

by franco61 » 2013-05-23 08:21:32 #7935

folks just like my long time buddy (my kat) who is lying next to me now, when the good Lord was passing out the brains we were WAAAYYY around the block. I want to say that I am just a nano blip in time when it comes to all the wars in all the countries in all the world. Wars are ugly we all know that, the heros are the ones who gave thier lives for whatever cause that might have been. men and women losing 1,2,3,4 limbs, losing thier sight,hearing, thier minds. So my fifteen minutes of fame in a country faraway may be a bit petty to some but it does exist. Yes i take several meds for axciety/mood/depression and they do help some but this will be with me forever. I do see my head doctor monthly. These folks are just interns they put in a year and then move on they mean well but they are just babies now i just show up to make sure my medications are up to date. My goverment takes pretty good care of me, health wise I pay for nothing and quality of care IMHO is just as good as the private practice maybe just a little slower. I am a proud American even when things look like they are going down the toilet. Thanks folks

by Irishp » 2013-05-24 08:11:37 #7936

Here in Illinois our legislature is debating this question at the very moment. They say the proponents are winning. My best friend's son has flat feet and a slipped disc. He is in constant pain. Who am I to judge him if this could help him. My friend tells me it would help. I am not convinced it is not safer than alcohol. But I was a child of the sixties and my folks scared me out of trying it.