Menu

by corky14 » 2011-08-31 10:26:48 #7050

An inspirational story Susan! Thanks for sharing your story. Heather

by meridok » 2012-03-09 17:12:39 #7051

Hello Susan,

I went looking for this thread after seeing you mention it on your profile and I'm so glad I did! This is an amazing story, and you have done/are doing a wonderful thing. I've lived with cats literally my entire life - the only time I wasn't living in the company of at least one cat was the 8 months of my first year of university in residence! I'm in an apartment now, and my roommate and I took in an elderly long-haired cat (first longhair I've lived with - so much fur!) from a friend of hers who couldn't keep her.

Keep it up, your actions are truly inspiring.
C/J

by 57 Feral Cats » 2012-03-10 16:44:30 #7052

Hi, C/J ! Thanks for your kind words. smile It's always nice to meet another cat person ! If you get a chance, you can go to Page 5 of the Forum and find my two entries about Joan Crawford who died last March. I don't have her picture now as my avatar but I hope to get a bunch of pictures up on photobucket and you can see her pictures then. She was a beauty. ~ And thanks for taking in the elderly cat. It's great whenever anyone can give a senior kitty a good home. What's her name?

by dphifer » 2013-03-12 10:38:13 #7053

Susan, after all this time on SC, I have just now looked up your story on this forum. You are truly amazing to take care of all the cats over the years. God bless you!

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-03-27 07:05:00 #7054

Denise, I am glad you got to read the story about The Feral Cats of Oakton ! Thanks for your very kind words. They really mean a lot !!

by dphifer » 2013-03-28 09:44:19 #7055

Susan, Just wanted you to know that I meant what I said. It not only takes a loving heart, but a special something else to give of your time, money, and your heart! You must be a wonderful, caring person. smile

by veronicarose » 2013-09-14 09:14:14 #7056

Susan, It's an inspirational story. You give so much love, time and commitment caring for your cats. Is the situation much the same as in your original post in 2011? Have you still got volunteers helping you? How many of your original cats are still with you?

by veronicarose » 2013-09-14 09:14:26 #7057

Susan, It's an inspirational story. You give so much love, time and commitment caring for your cats. Is the situation much the same as in your original post in 2011? Have you still got volunteers helping you? How many of your original cats are still with you?

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-09-14 09:59:58 #7058

Hi, Ann ! Thanks for your comment and kind words, and for reading about The Feral Cats of Oakton. smile Sadly, I have now lost thirty-one of my kitties. Unfortunately, at the present time, I do not have volunteers to help me. I have been doing the work all by myself for the past four years. Ugh! It has been a very dark time. sad Some of my volunteers who live in northern Virginia (about five hours away) come to see me periodically. It is always a big help and a needed break for me when they come ! I now have 29 kitties left. I just made a list the other day of four or five of them who probably will not make it through the end of the year. I have not lost anyone since January 20, 2013 which is quite a record ! Thanks, again ! smile

by zaphod » 2013-09-14 11:01:47 #7059

Dear Susan: I read your story before but I thank you to post it again. Every time I read it, I am moved to tears but also to admiration. It also rekindles my belief that people are good or that there are still enough good people around who don't inflict pain but alleviate suffering and care about those who have the misfortune of not having a home. I asked you before and I am asking you again if there is a way for a person like me to provide some support for your kind efforts. You are to be admired for what you do smile

by veronicarose » 2013-09-16 09:56:36 #7060

Hi Susan, I am sorry that you have had such a difficult time over the last few years. Are there any animal charities locally that might be able to put you in touch with volunteers who would be willing to help care for the cats in similar ways to your previous helpers? Do you get any time to make friends and see friends in your neighbourhood, or does all your time and energy go on caring for your kitties? You have an international group of friends on S.C. and I hope that the puzzle solving and chatting gives you a break from your worries. Ann

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-09-19 07:54:21 #7061

Thanks, Ann ! (Sorry. I just saw your comment from a couple of days ago.) When I lost my helper who had been coming for 1-1/2 years, I would talk to people at the vet, at the store, at church -- anyone who might have pets or really love animals. I talked to eleven people over the course of a year or two who basically said, "Oh, I love animals ! I have always wanted to do something like this. I would love to come by and help periodically." And then I never heard from them. sad So I just gave up and braced myself to do all of the work on my own. I really did not have a choice. I did come across Robert and his wife who were happy to volunteer to help with the Litter Run. I save up donations and order 35-40 tubs of litter when they are on sale. Robert comes with his van and trailer, loads all the litter on his trailer at the store, and then brings it all into my basement for me !! That is a HUGE help ! And they have asked me over for Thanksgiving Dinner a couple of years. smile The couple who allow me to bury my kitties on their property have also become good friends. When I have more free time, Janet (the wife) is going to saddle up one of her horses and let me go for a ride !! I have also made some friends at church but, right now, so much of my time is spent taking care of the kitties. I should not spend the time that I do on Solitaire but, after all of the work, I need to sit down and rest -- and I usually sit down at the computer and end up working on the game! smile

by veronicarose » 2013-09-28 08:17:55 #7062

Susan, I'm sorry to hear about Diego. I'm sure you helped him to have a long and happy life during his time with you. .