Menu

What are you listening to?

by NanoResistor » 2008-09-25 11:14:20 #4967

Just thought I'd add some spice to the forums and give a way for everyone to share what you're listening to.

To start off I just found this song recently on pandora.com a great free music site. The song is by Gnarls Barkley - Crazy.

What about you?

by NanoResistor » 2008-09-26 09:25:08 #6759

Another I really like:
Zion I & The Grouch - Tranes & Planes (Instrumental)

by Dick Christensen » 2008-09-27 17:36:38 #6760

Your music tastes I think are somewhat different from mine, though I'm always interested in trying something new. I'll listen and tell you what I think. I do like your avatar, however. I showed it to my daughter who thought it was pretty cool - she was a math/physics major in college.

by Dick Christensen » 2008-09-27 06:02:04 #6761

Well, Nano, I listened to the music you suggested. Gnarls Barkley is ok - I probably wouldn't go out of my way to listen but it's not difficult to listen to. Zion I & the Grouch is a different story. I just haven't been able to get into RAP music - it's probably a generational thing. Although I'm pretty eclectic in my taste for music, RAP and hip-hop have not found a way into my library. I listen to classical, jazz, big band, latin, R & B, golden oldies, folk and country and occasionally to world music.

by jdpandcmp » 2008-09-27 06:55:00 #6762

My favorite Sirius channel is Left Center. I love Vampire Weekend - they incorporate a lot of instruments into their music that you don't typically hear in mainstream rock. Be careful if you're listening with kids - a couple of their songs use some rated "R" words. The soundtrack to Wicked is what we drive home from school listening to - we all love "Popular."

by NanoResistor » 2008-09-27 08:34:43 #6763

Ill have to look into that jdpandcmp.

Dick: Glad your daughter thought my avatar was interesting smile. Did you listen to the instrumental version of Zion I & The Grouch? Yes they are a rap group, but I found this instrumental to be a lot nicer than when it has lyrics. For my musical tastes I enjoy most rock, rap, oldies, jazz, classical, and some in between. smile

However, most of the music I'm listening to at the moment falls within rock/rap mainly because of it being more upbeat. Metal Fingered Villain/Metal Fingers/MF Doom/Viktor Vaughn(same artist lots of alias's) has a nice collection of instrumentals as well that are more jazz-like even though he is a rap artist.

by D » 2008-10-10 06:29:23 #6764

Nano, I like a wide vaiety of music, from classical, oldies, r&b, pop, hard rock, etc. Anywhere from Andrew Lloyd Webber & A7X to Motzart & Metallica. Not a big country music fan (and I only live about 30 minutes from Nashville). LOL smile

by Dick Christensen » 2008-10-10 15:20:29 #6765

Here's a question for you: If you could listen to only three songs for the rest of your life what would they be? Who would be the composers? Who would be the artists?

by JBAMA1998 » 2008-10-10 16:31:40 #6766

Celine Dion- Because you loved me (my daughters song); and as odd as this may seem Dan Folgelberg- Run for the Roses (my sons song); and probably Puff the magic dragon-It brings back some of my happiest childhood memories with my grandmother. For some reason if my son heard Run for the Roses and he was crying he would instantly stop. It was fitting as he was malnourished and fighting for life. Because you loved me fits my daughter and I perfectly.

by D » 2008-10-11 17:59:22 #6767

Dick, that's a hard question..off top of my head
1. Amaging Grace - (my grandmother use to always sing that song to us and, I use to hum it to my kids when they were little. When my grandmother passed away my daughter played it on her flute at the grave site as they were lowering her into the ground. (it was breath taking)
2. Andrew LLoyd Webber - All I ask of you (it's just a beautiful song)
3. Stevie Nicks- Seventeen (she is one of my most fav. female singers, I love her voice)
ok dick, I don't see your 3 up here...

by fizzbut » 2008-10-11 16:04:19 #6768

If I could only listen to 3 songs I'd want them to be hymns because I'd be praying Lord take me quick or give me some more songs.

by Keggie » 2008-10-13 11:16:04 #6769

My first choice would be Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World. I'd also like Acker Bilk's Stranger on the Shore (even though there are no words) and for a complete change Dove Sono from Marriage of Figaro sung by Kiri Te Kanawa as I heard her sing it in her debut at Covent Garden - there was complete silence for a moment when she finished followed by thunderous applause - a truly magical evening.

by helen b » 2008-10-22 14:22:35 #6770

My three songs would be...Song bird.. Eva Cassidy, Teardrop...Massive Attack and the Rain Son....Led Zeppelin smile