Menu

How is everyone liking the 30 day rankings?

by Adam Lyttle » 2008-08-28 13:25:36 #4960

Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on the 30 day rankings, have you found it to be an improvement to the site? Do you have any suggestions or ideas that could make the site better? Please feel free to share, this is an open forum, every suggestion is valid and will be considered.

by fizzbut » 2008-08-28 06:25:49 #6729

No scientific evidence on this but it seems to me that more people are getting lower moves now. This was something I thought might happen because your rankings are effected more by each game which makes it a little more competitive. I've notice people comment when they come back after taking a few days off about how much they drop in the rankings, however it seems to me that they rebound rather quickly which I also like.
Of course it's a whole lot better then what was happening (or rather not happening) with the rankings just before it was implemented.
As for a suggestion, if part of the score is made up of the average score of games played prior to 30 days, it would be nice if somewhere that average was posted.

by D » 2008-08-29 06:10:38 #6730

Adam, I like the new ranking system. However, I sometimes get confused because if it is moslty calculated on low moves, I can get low moves but my time isn't that great (I guess about average mostly). It just seems that even if I get lowest moves on just about every game, my ranking only changes about 1 or 2 spots..I noticed people with low times have a better ranking than me. So do I need to focus more on lowest moves or lower times?
Also, I want to thank you again for alll the time and work you put into the site, I appreciate it very much!!!

by Keggie » 2008-08-30 07:58:07 #6731

Adam. I'm not really sure how the ranking system works and whether it's still possible to improve your ranking by playing old games. I hope you can. I like the stars being given to everyone with fewest moves for a game but also hope that you don't lose them after the game drops out of the 30 days list.

by Di » 2008-08-31 06:01:52 #6732

Adam, I like the new system. I was on vacation for 2 months and was unable to play. My ranking slipped from 70something to 400and something in that time. The good things is I've been able to catch up really quickly. Thanks!

by jdpandcmp » 2008-08-31 09:27:05 #6733

I enjoy the new ranking system. After your explanation of the weighting of low moves vs. fast times, I found myself looking at my own times/moves over the last 30 days and replaying particular games that I thought looked like too many moves. Of course, I'm not usually one with the lowest moves, so for me, the challenge remains. What more could you ask for in a game?

by Adam Lyttle » 2008-09-01 13:40:15 #6734

D, I have tried to make the weighting for moves and time equal. Which means someone who gets a good time but bad moves should be equal to someone who gets good moves but bad times. With that said, those who get good times with good moves will always dominate the rankings.

by emm » 2008-09-02 14:22:25 #6735

I love the new ranking system. One thing I wish for is to find someone I know plays but if they haven't posted or played in a while, it's hard to find them. Maybe we could have a search bar to find members.

by Adam Lyttle » 2008-09-06 14:01:12 #6736

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be implementing the new scoring system into Mahjong over the coming weeks. smile

by saint bernard » 2008-09-06 15:47:27 #6737

i think there should be a sort of instruction thing for the new players. not for every game but for solitaire in general.

by Adam Lyttle » 2008-09-07 12:32:59 #6738

There are instructions in the "rules" section, were those instructions not clear enough?