Menu

by Dick Christensen » 2010-08-24 13:18:51 #6641

If any of you think this world is going to hell in a hand basket (or some similar metaphore) you'll be sure of it when you read Lester R. Brown's "Plan B." Actually, there are four "Plan B" editions. The Original and "Plan B 2.0" which are subtitled "Rescuing a Planet under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble" and "Plan B 3.0 - Mobilizing to Save Civilization" (which I just read), and there is a new edition "Plan B 4.0." This is a very well researched book which spells out the trouble we're in as a species. The first part of the book is rather depressing as it outlines the effects of global warming, melting glaciers, growing deserts, increasing polution, failing states, etc. But the second part offers solutions - not many are easy oweing to politics and corporate greed and our own need for comfort - that are doable if we have the will and we don't wait too long. It will inspire you to be more conscious of your impact on the environment.

by onemoretime » 2010-09-21 08:55:15 #6642

by onemoretime » 2010-09-21 09:21:03 #6643

I totally enjoyed perusing books by Pierre Burton, one of Canada's prolific authors. A great read was 'The Last Spike' which described the hardships and the characters that helped to build the Canadian Pacific Railroad which forged Canada into one nation.

by JeanneBird » 2010-11-07 15:04:16 #6644

James Patterson and Dean Koontz get my vote!

by IdBeDan » 2010-11-09 12:24:12 #6645

new and learning

by kk » 2010-11-26 15:58:55 #6646

What fun to catch up on all the posts. I've been away from this site and it was really interesting to read all of the replies. I'm currently reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

by bbarbara » 2010-11-26 14:26:21 #6647

I can't believe it!!!!!Finally found a chat forum-----Just an old lady with not too much to say but do enjoy chatting---am into polka(on web) .solataire,knitting,pets,plants ,reading and a little bit about alot of other things--------always curious --------
finished reading Sarah's Key and eagerly waiting for the auto on Mark Twain-------so many books I find disappointing but when I find a good one ,I devoure it---Hello to all

by jdpandcmp » 2010-12-01 18:33:40 #6648

Barbara - I recently read Sarah's Key and enjoyed it. I'm reading my 12-year old's books right now and enjoying them - The Mockingjay Series - first one is The Hunger Games.

by Dick Christensen » 2010-12-01 15:40:47 #6649

It's nice to see some activity on this thread again. Since my last post I've read "A Girl Made of Dust" by Nathalie Abi-Ezzi, written from the point of view of a 8 year old girl in a Christian family living in Lebanon and how they deal with the chaos around them. I also read " The Housekeeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa, about a woman and her 10 year old son and how they befriended an aging and curmudgeony professor.
Fantasies are not generally on my to read list, but my daughter had been pestering me to read something by Neil Gaiman, so I read "Coraline." I admit I enjoyed the story, but I'm glad it was relatively short - I won't be changing my reading habits...
A novel by Kate Atkinson, "When Will There Be Good News?" is a great thriller of a story - many convolutions and intertwinings. A set of short stories by Haruki Murakami, "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" is not, in my opinion his best work, but still worth the read.
Per Petterson's "Out Stealing Horses" is an enjoyable tale about an old and lonely man remembering a seminal period of his youth.
I read a biography of James Lovelock, a British scientist, who is credited with (among other things) conceiving of the Earth as a living organism. It is call "James Lovelock - In Search of Gaia" and is written by John and Mary Gribbin.
Finally, I read "Once on a Moonless Night" by Dai Sijie. It is a story of a lost Buddhist sutra once owned by the last emperor of China and a young western girl who searches for it.

by misslanny » 2011-03-21 06:08:19 #6650

Dick, my funny bone must be very close to the surface because I have read and loved every one of David Sedaris's books. In fact I would list him in my top 15 favorite current authors. But I sometimes enjoy humor in my reading, therefore Augusten Burroughs and Nora Ephron are right up there with Sedaris. When I first read "Dry" by Burroughs I ran out and read the other books written previously by him.

Susan, I also read "Sally Hemmings" quite a while ago and really liked it. How was "The President's Daughter"? Did it compare? Your fascination for Jefferson must come from a past life. I. too. find it difficult to concentrate on books because of the brain fog that accompanies Fibromyalgia, which is a sad state of affairs since I have been an avid reader since I was five years old. I used to read at least one a week. Now if I can get through one a month I am doing well!
Good night all,
Lanny

by jdpandcmp » 2011-01-08 12:12:53 #6651

For those of you that read and enjoyed "The Glass Castle" I can highly recommend "Half-Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls. It tells the story of the author's grandmother, who sounds like a go getter to the nth degree. I liked this one even better than Glass Castle.

by pablo » 2011-02-01 16:29:59 #6652

Speaking of books, I really liked "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese, and wonder if anyone else has read it.....and if so, how they liked it? I heartedly recommend it to everyone, and I noticed it's now out in paperback....saw it at Border's the other day.

by Dee » 2011-02-03 09:15:10 #6653

I enjoy reading but haven't completed a book for a while as I am having trouble concentrating. I am currently trying to finish "The President's Daughter" by Barbara Chase-Riboud, who also wrote Sally Hemmings, which I also read. "The President's Daughter" is about Sally Hemmings, illigitimate daughter with Pres. Thomas Jefferson. Both books are very good and contain many historical facts. For some unknown reason, I grab every book about Thomas Jefferson, and I've been to Monticello, twice and would like to go back, It always feels very familiar to me???

by Dick Christensen » 2011-02-05 11:19:18 #6654

Dee - I recently read a great biography of Thomas Jefferson by Willard Sterne Randall. I just returned from 10 days in Hawaii and read three good books on the beach - Gods Behaving Badley by Marie Phillips; The Various Flavors of Coffee by Anthony Capella; and I Sweep the Sun off Rooftops by Hanan al-Shaykh. The first two are novels, the third is a book of short stories. I'm currently reading She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

by BB » 2011-03-22 06:29:19 #6655

by BB » 2011-03-22 06:32:49 #6656

I just finished Pillars of the Earth and Whiteout by Ken Follett. Anyone else enjoy Follett's work?

by Dick Christensen » 2011-03-24 12:15:24 #6657

BB - I've read "On Wings of Eagles," "Eye of the Needle," and "Jackdaws." The first book I thought was compelling non-fiction, the second was an engrossing novel which I liked a lot and the third was forgettable... Since my last post I've finished Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone," and read "Traveller" by Richard Adams (the Civil War from the point of view of Robert E. Lee's horse); "Bone Worship" by Elizabeth Eslami (about an Iranian-American girl trying to make sense of her mixed-cultural life); and "Crossing the Rubicon" by Michael C. Ruppert - if you're into conspiracy theory, you'll love this one...

by BB » 2011-03-25 07:50:48 #6658

Thanks Dick C. I'll try to get a copy of On Wings of Eagles. Don't know about Ruppert...he seems a little far 'out there'. Cheers.

by Dee » 2011-04-28 12:40:05 #6659

Soon after my husband died, I purchased a Kindle, but it was quite a while before I could read. Browsing thru the Kindle library, I found a book titled "Heaven is for Real", I pulled up the free sample and was hooked and ordered it. It was the first and only book so far that I have read since my loss. I believe the Lord led me to this book to help me with my healing. It is an amazing true story of a 4 year old boy's journey to Heaven and back. If you have ever wondered "What is Heaven really like", this book is for you. A great read for anyone.

by bne5 » 2011-04-29 17:21:47 #6660

Dee, I picked up that same book and read the prologue...then had to read the rest. It was indeed a remarkable book. If you enjoy daily devotional type reading I would suggest a book by Sarah Young called Jesus Calling, published by Thomas Nelson, Nashville,TN. Blessings to you!