Menu

rugelach aka rugala recipe for Claudine

by IamMissing » 2013-12-08 17:54:03 #5306

INGREDIENTS: 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided 1/4 teaspoon fine salt 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface 1 cup dried apricots 1/4 cup brandy 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 cup finely chopped walnuts 1 large egg, lightly beaten HOW TO MAKE DIRECTIONS: STEP 1 In a food processor, process butter, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt until combined. Add flour and pulse until a dough forms. Divide in half, flatten into disks, and tightly wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours (or overnight). STEP 2 In a small pot, bring apricots, brandy, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of liquid is absorbed, 7 minutes. Transfer to clean food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Stir in walnuts and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. STEP 3 Working with 1 disk at a time, on a floured surface, roll out dough into a 12-inch circle. Spread with half the filling, leaving a 1-inch border. Cut into 16 wedges. Starting from outside edge, tightly roll each wedge up; place on parchment-lined baking sheets, seam side down. Lightly brush with egg. Freeze 30 minutes. STEP 4 Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely. I can't make anything well any more without a food processor and if u don't have one hit Big Lots they normally have Cuisinart's there for like 25.00 dollars and i mean they sell the big one for 25.00 dollars vs the smaller one. why? when u dice up frozen butter and pulse the butter chips into the flour, u want the flour butter mixture to look like small white peas so when u pulse again it rolls into a ball...then when u roll out the ball (and i re freeze for 5 mins) those small little buttered like pea size things, make the crust pop when u bake making the 'crust' really flaky and buttery. again on butter...i only use the Kerry Gold Irish butter if u have a Costco near u get it there is a great buy and don't get the tub of Kerry Gold butter get the half pound sticks there are 3 to a box for about 8 dollars..i live in Naperville so its hard to guess what the price is or even if ur Costco's will have it..for sure Whole Foods has it but at a premium. Trader Joes should have it and if they don't have Kerry Gold any European butter should do the trick. if u don't like apricots, don't add em. raisins work just add more i guess. its a lot of work but you will be invited to every party on the planet given u bring the rugelach!

by claudine » 2013-12-09 09:14:23 #9477

by claudine » 2013-12-09 09:17:31 #9478

For some reason my reply did not get through.I will make this for our Christmas which will be the twentyfirst,and I will let you know how it turns out.It sounds wonderful.Thanks a millon!

by IamMissing » 2013-12-12 13:21:55 #9479

yeah Claudine please lemme know...and sure hope it is the party fav and once u get the hang of making this...its not so bad time wise...and every time i make it, it just gets better and better. Merry Christmas Claudine to you and ur family robb

by zaphod » 2013-12-12 13:32:38 #9480

I agree. The more often I bake rugelach the better they get. I found that resting the dough if possible 24 hours makes a big diference. I found also that any unsalted butter works. I also bake 1 batch at a time only. Merry Christmas Claudine and hope you will be the star with your baking. I also like the bisquits I found in NYT very good. If you have still the time try it also. They are excellent and I had great success with them also.

by zaphod » 2013-12-12 13:37:54 #9481

Merry Christmas @claudine. Enjoy your baking. I am sure you will be a great success with what you shall bring.

by Lynne C » 2013-12-17 13:54:26 #9482

I love making the rugelach. i wish I had my mother's recipe - I have all her cook books but not one of them has hers. I use walnuts and raisins with brown sugar and cinnamon for my filling. The secret to any cookie recipe? Unsalted butter - it makes the cookie!

by claudine » 2013-12-17 14:08:12 #9483

Merry Christmas to you all as well,and thank you for all your help.

by zaphod » 2013-12-19 18:04:18 #9484

To @Lynne C. The differences in the taste and "quality" of Rugelach depends as you said on unsalted butter, preparing the dough and letting it rest. The thickness of the rolled out dough before the filling seem to also make a diference (and again working the dough as litte as possible). The filling is according to ones taste, how sweet one wants to have it etc. The walnuts have to be freshest possible and sweet tasting. I have experimented with all knds of fillings but neither can I replicate my mother;s rugelach. Thank you Lynne for bringing up old memories on our mother;s cookings.and bakings smile