Menu

Solitaire 101 - History of this version of the game - Donnamusica

by donnamusica » 2012-02-21 09:36:34 #5141

History of Solitaire Craving

Susan asked me to do a little thing on the history of Solitaire Craving. There might be those of you who know more background and if you do maybe you could contact Susan or I to add the info to this story or continue this thread. smile

Adam Lyttle is the creator of Solitaire Craving. As so many have noticed, the date of each game is always a day before us in North America as Adam lives in Australia. He is a software developer from the Southern Coast of Australia and to woo his Annie (Ann-Maree), he created this game as she was always a huge solitaire fan...even of the Windows format of solitaire that came with her computer.

After beginning the site and playing regularly with all of us, he and Annie married. The anniversary of their wedding is in January and to mark that he has a lovely wedding emblem on the cards on that date. That was such a success that he added Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter and April Fool's Day graphics as well.

I began playing when I received a link to play the April Fool's Day version. All the cards are backwards on that day and it makes it even more of a challenge than it already is. I admit that hooked me and 5 years later I am still playing!

Adam created the fan format after two years I believe, when he got stronger servers for the site as it was constantly crashing in the beginning. Adding the ads solved the financial problem. At first people donated money when they could to help out but the financial burden got too high.

As mentioned, Adam and Annie played regularly back then, but his business took off in a big way and he was no longer able to keep up with the site maintenance. That is how we came to have qhermit (Yuriy Polyshyk) and the other Ukrainians (Russian speaking) as Administrators on our site. They change the servers if there is a problem, give us a new game if it is impossible, and block people if they are inappropriate and generally make everything possible for us to enjoy Solitaire Craving each and every day! Now he will also be handling Solitaire Craving when it becomes a facebook app., or so we are hoping! If anyone ever has any questions for Yuriy, you simply click on Contact Us at the bottom of the Solitaire Craving website, or ask questions on the Facebook solitairecraving.com webpage. People's chat and conversation are always welcomed on that facebook site and also on the message boards of Solitaire Craving itself where clues and news and encouragement can be found and enjoyed daily!

So glad you are all members on this wonderful site of an international and supportive community of friends and gamers! I certainly am glad I found it!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

by kenright » 2012-04-07 07:41:46 #7292

Thank you for the history. I was always wonderd about it. I just accidenally clicked on the site a few months ago but now play it every day and enjoy it very much. Thank you Karl

by rhonda b » 2012-04-11 17:06:17 #7293

i am so glad to know how this got started, i really,really, enjoy it.

by kenright » 2012-04-12 14:34:16 #7294

It was suggested that on this site I shall find an explanation for the term "misslanny". I still can't see it. What does the term mean? Please somebody explain it to me. Thanks Karl

by fizzbut » 2012-04-13 13:29:41 #7295

"misslanny" is a game that does not require a flip of the deck. Named after the lovely player misslanny. I don't remember quite how she got associated with it, but it stuck.

by Di » 2012-05-05 10:32:02 #7296

That was a lovely read, Donna. smile

by fizzbut » 2012-05-21 16:13:06 #7297

I read Misslanny's version of how a no-flipper became named a misslanny. I'm copying and pasting her words and she probably remembers it as well as any of us.
"You ask how a misslanny came about? We used to call the game a no-flip. There was a new player who asked what is a "no-flip"? I think Donna explained it to him and I replied something like, "Yeah...just like my hair...no flip." Donna wrote back LOL's and smiley faces, and then christened the game with no flip, a misslanny. (Anyone who remembers it differently is free to tell their version. My memory is not what is used to be when you are as ancient as I am. lol!)"

by fizzbut » 2012-09-02 16:51:13 #7298

a