Menu

by fizzbut » 2008-06-29 06:49:39 #6426

Adam, it looks like it's may be still doing it. It does register the lowest moves on the game details leader board, but under game statistics it still shows only the # of moves that associated with ones best time.

by fizzbut » 2008-06-29 08:33:22 #6427

The profile, stats, and rankings profiles pages are great. Looking forward to the updates you have in mind for the profiles.
I haven't figured out how to access the games prior to the last 30 or are they inactivated.
I'm surmising from those that haven't played in the last 30 days that the average from those games makes up about 1/4th of the score? It would seem that those who have played prior to the last 30 days still have some advantage in the rankings. There's still some work for a newcomer to get up in the rankings, which is probably good. But it's not increasingly harder which I think is even better and much more welcoming.

by fizzbut » 2008-06-29 08:51:12 #6428

I've noticed there is no place to show how many stars you've been awarded like there was before. Is this something that can be added back in. It seems that stars are given to whoever has the lowest times or moves not just the first to get there. I think I like that. Especially with moves the other way tended to reward those that played the earliest. Though on Sudoku you'd be giving out stars to most everyone for moves.

by Travis » 2008-06-30 07:13:55 #6429

Adam,
I'll have to disagree with Fizz. Please restore the award for first to finish! I'm a decent player but there's no way I can compete for best time or moves- I'm on a laptop. The only way I achieved my stars was to be the first to finish.

Please! Please! Please!

Does anyone else feel the way I do?

Thanks for your consideration,
Travis

by fizzbut » 2008-06-30 12:10:00 #6430

I forgot about the star for first to finish. I was talking about the stars for first to get lowest moves. Absolutely give a star for first to finish. Anyone who finishes first on a laptop probably deserves 2 stars. smile
Oh, and Adam the earlier issue with the lowest moves not showing up on the stats page seems to be corrected and working well. Thanks.
I've also notice the scores are updating frequently. I haven't notice the games slowing down but occasionally pages seem to load a liitle slow but nothing drastic.

by Adam Lyttle » 2008-06-30 07:15:13 #6431

Travis, I don't believe it ever awarded people for being the first person to finish. I know there used to be a link on the stats screen for each game with a list of "Best Dressed" (meaning, those who finished the game the fastest). But I'll see what I can do, perhaps some more elaborate awards are in order.

Thanks fizzbut, your analysis has helped me immensely. Yes, the issue with the lowest moves should be fixed now, it was a small problem that I didn't pick up on while coding the new ranking system.

As for the ranks, yes they are updated every 30 minutes now. The new ranking system works a treat. Nearly 1,000,000 games have been played since the site started, going through each score was a huge drag on resources. At least this new rank system should see us through the next few years.

I want to gather a bit more feedback over the coming weeks, if everything works as planned I will be rolling out all the new updates to Mahjong and Sudoku (new rankings, new ranking boards, new profiles, etc). Then I will be working on a few cool features which link in with the fans system. It should get very exciting! smile

by fizzbut » 2008-07-01 09:32:11 #6432

I must have been thinking of Mahjong. Because 144 is as low as you can go, I remember it seemed like the star was going to the first to complete it when it was really the first to 144.

by D » 2008-07-03 15:07:16 #6433

Adam, being that I just started playing in November last year, I feel the vetran players have more say in the matter. However, I do like the fact that ranking is more on moves than time. I agree with Fizzbut, you take the time to do this for us do whatever is easier for you works for me. Thanks smile

by fizzbut » 2008-07-04 06:13:32 #6434

It's hard to tell how the new system of weighing moves to time 2:1 is really effecting things. Are scores based on how far off you are from the average or flip flopping lowest and highest scores? If you're flip flopping then time may still have and edge unless there's a limit to the highest time and moves.

by chilliemander » 2008-07-09 17:16:27 #6435

Wow, I just went from in the top 10 to the mid 40s b/c of the new rating with moves being more weighed than time. I usually compete only for times, so I'm very bummed about the new system! =(

by fizzbut » 2008-07-09 11:13:04 #6436

chilliemander, time is still very much a factor. The new system actually only gives moves more of an equal balance with time because you can go much lower on time then on moves.

by Adam Lyttle » 2008-07-09 11:19:26 #6437

Chillmander: I went from 68 to 76 yesterday. I think people went back and improved their times on older games (increasing their score and changing the curve for each game).

by chilliemander » 2008-07-09 15:21:21 #6438

I'm going to spend some time over the next few days on my PC instead of my laptop and improve my times and moves. I want my spot back!

by fizzbut » 2010-06-15 14:03:11 #6439

I dug up this scoring thread for those with questions on scoring though it leaves a few questions unanswered.

by KARLOLINA » 2010-06-17 16:38:06 #6440

Well I am trying to figure this all out. It will keep me humble. smile

subject

by Irishp » 2014-04-23 20:44:15 #9533

I am unable to get the system to pick up the fact that I have finished today's game twice.  So far I'd have to say I don't like the change.  I hope it gets better and I'll give it a couple more chances, but I really enjoyed this and so far I've had nothing but failure on the new system.  Plus my ranking went overnight from 99 to 426.  Surely this is incorrect.  At least I hope so.

subject

by Irishp » 2014-04-23 20:44:18 #9534

I am unable to get the system to pick up the fact that I have finished today's game twice.  So far I'd have to say I don't like the change.  I hope it gets better and I'll give it a couple more chances, but I really enjoyed this and so far I've had nothing but failure on the new system.  Plus my ranking went overnight from 99 to 426.  Surely this is incorrect.  At least I hope so.

subject

by Irishp » 2014-04-23 20:44:18 #9535

subject

by Irishp » 2014-04-23 20:44:19 #9536

subject

by Irishp » 2014-04-23 20:44:19 #9537