Menu

Gift for penpal??

by Emily » 2007-06-12 09:21:09 #4895

I live in Kentucky, and I have a penpal in North Korea. We mail eachother letters and usually give little gifts... She's given me things like pens and bookmarks that are obviously cool to me because we don't have them in our country. I'm running out of ideas of things to send her though, and I really want to send something special that she'll think is cool, and we only have in the USA. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!

by Dee » 2007-06-14 15:34:21 #6265

What special foods is your area known for? Try baking her something with it in it and sending the special item with the receipe. (ex: honey, nuts) Fudge is always a treat and I have a never fail receipe if you are interested. How about a book on Kentucky, or something of her interests. Beads are big now, send her a kit from the craft store and she can make a bracelet, etc. Need more ideas? Good luck...Dee

by Emily » 2007-06-15 17:20:11 #6266

Thank you so much!!! Can I have that fudge recipe it sounds good, lol. Any more ideas would be great too, thanks again

by Dee » 2007-06-15 13:13:59 #6267

Hi Emily.. the hardest part about this recipe is NOT TO STIR while cooking!

Dee's Peanut Butter Fudge

Put 3 cups granulated sugar, 3/4 cup milk into a saucepan and stir together. Bring to a boil on medium high heat and DO NOT STIR. When comes to a full boil turn to medium heat and time for 5 minutes...DO NOT STIR. Remove from heat and stir in 2 HUGE humumgus heaping tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 HUGE humumgus heaping tablespoons of marshmellow cream. Stir together until mixed together. Pour into a buttered 8x8 pan and let sit for 6-8- hours. Cut into squares with a paring knife.

To ship...pack tightly and it will ship well. Good Luck. Will post more ideas for you later!

by Emily » 2007-06-17 14:55:14 #6268

mmm that sounds good!! I'll have to try it asap.

by jink » 2007-07-02 14:12:23 #6269

Emily,
Handicrafts are nice. Should be able to find some in KY. Or better yet, find someone to make them.
We do have pens and bookmarks in the US, but what your friend found were some unique to her region. Keep that in mind and you should be able to find many little things.
How about some Derby memorabilia along with explaining what it is, maybe a book about the derby, and include a recipe for Mint Julips.