Menu

The Easter Bunny makes an early visit to Solitaire Craving on April Fools Day

by Adam Lyttle » 2007-04-01 14:52:44 #4883

As many have already spotted, something odd was happening on todays game:

http://www.solitairecraving.com/game.php?gameid=297

It seems that we had a little visit from the Easter Bunny! Not only did he show up on the playing cards, but he also managed to finish the game in 10 moves and 10 seconds under the alias @eb (which one can only assume stands for Easter Bunny).

A few more hints that he left behind:

- The playing cards were backwards
- @eb Stands for Easter Bunny
- @eb's profile had a picture of Easter Island
- @eb was from Chile (Congratulations @oceanstar2 and @SuzyQ for picking up on this one)
- And @eb's webpage linked to an interesting (and slightly warped) story about an easter bunny

People who mentioned the following words: April, fools and eb's profile had their comments hidden in an attempt to keep the gag running as long as possible. But now the cat is out of the bag, so the hidden comments are now displayed.

Seeing that this site runs on Australian time (a day ahead of you US folk) I thought I may have been able to surprise a few people. This was not the case. Literally within 10 or 20 seconds of the game going live @brightkis put two and two together-- living up to his nickname on Solitaire Craving.

There were a few inconsistencies today that were not part of the gag, but raises the question "Was the easter bunny really here?". These inclued:

- The date that @eb accomplished the amazing time was December 31, 1969. This is known as the epox, the date and year that is represented by Linux computers as 0. Seeing as though I entered @eb's score manually into the database I didn't enter a proper date, so it was left as 0.

- @eb registered on March 31, 2007 and only played on March 31, 2007-- even though he finished April 1st's game in 10 seconds. This is a little more obvious than the previous one, I had to create the account a day before to get the profile up and running.

- The game reset itself 4 or 5 times last night. This meant that the emails were fired off on 4 or 5 seperate occasions, peoples scores were inconsistent peoples profiles now have an archive of 4 or 5 times for game 296. Which leaves the question, did the easter bunny truly make an appearance on Solitaire Craving?

Side Note: I will be leaving the cards reversed for this game. Anyone going back into the archives to play this game will relive todays experience. Well, with the exception of @eb, I will be removing his score to make sure the stats don't get muddled up smile

by luigi de nichilo » 2007-04-01 15:49:20 #6231

well done Adam very interesting little story

by fraug » 2007-04-01 15:53:57 #6232

Curses! I thought I would be sly and go back and replay after the cards were back to normal ... doh!

by SuzyQ » 2007-04-01 06:52:27 #6233

Thanks, Adam, for adding some extra fun to our game today. And isn't fraug just TOO clever, thinking he'll go back and replay with normal cards to better his time!!!

by Dilip Gurung » 2007-04-01 11:06:23 #6234

Eb fooled everybody and got to celebrate his April Fool Day, ha.. ha... ha... by the way Eb's story was so cute. Thanks Adam. I enjoyed the story.

by oceanstar2 » 2007-04-02 06:02:14 #6235

Adam, thanks for a really fun game, it was a blast! Made my whole day! Hmmm...I gotta get a life! I loved Ebs website too. Well, need to go take some more aspirin, my crossed eyes are giving me a headache.

by Saam » 2007-04-02 10:05:04 #6236

Well done, Adam, you sure kept us hopping! It's interesting to go back & read the comments now that they are uncovered. I only worked it out after a friend said it was the 1st of the month later that afternoon. Keep up the great work. smile