Menu

picking a game

by Barbara » 2006-08-25 14:30:11 #4801

I was wondering if it was possible to be able to pick a certain game. Sometimes I would like to play a certain game and I go to the archives but they are by date and on our stats they are by number. Does this make sense?

by Adam Lyttle » 2006-08-25 14:58:48 #5769

Can you explain that a little more, I don't quite follow..

by Barbara » 2006-08-25 16:03:53 #5770

I knew it would sound confusing. Ok, when the play screen comes up we must play today's game. Or go to the previous day's game, or to the archives. The archives are by the date the game came out, but they are also numbered. I would like to be able to chose by number which game I would like to play because looking at my stats, I try to replay the games with the slowest times and they are shown by the game number not the date the game came out. In rereading this it seems about as clear as mud. I'm sorry. The more I type, the more I am getting confused. Is it any clearer at all?

by Stacy G » 2006-08-25 16:28:19 #5771

Barbara,

When you are on your stats page you can click on the game number and it'll bring right to that game.

by Barbara » 2006-08-26 06:23:45 #5772

I've tried that. I guess Adam is just spoiling us with this great game and all the nice extras. He had been writing about game #34 (I think) and I wanted to go directly to that game from the main page to see how hard it was to win. I ended up going to the achives page and counting the games to get to #34. I know, stop complaining. This game is too fun! I have been logging in to this site about 3 to 4 times a day and play way too many games at each sitting. Who needs dinner anyway!

by Stacy G » 2006-08-26 06:28:23 #5773

I think I understand! You are taking about games that you HAVEN'T played yet! I wish there was a way to do that too. smile
And I'm spending way too much time here myself.

by Xavor » 2006-08-26 06:41:25 #5774

I think I understand 8P
It's hard to tell which game is game #XX from the calendar style display.
If I want to go to game #YY from the listing I have to start at the beginning and count YY dates cool Maybe a list of game by number then.

by fraug » 2006-08-26 06:53:33 #5775

I usually just modify the URL http://www.solitairecraving.com/game.php?gameid=## where ## is the game number.. Or by clicking on the highlighted links to games that Adam is talking about.

by luigi de nichilo » 2006-08-26 11:41:33 #5776

adam ido not undestand best dressed game and what does it involves can you explain please

by Adam Lyttle » 2006-08-26 12:11:05 #5777

@Barbara, now I understand. In the forum posts where I refer to game @#34 it is a clickable link (you can click on the link itself to play the game). It wouldn't hurt to have a drop-down box or something in the game archive screen that allows you to select a game by date. I will have a play around with it and see what I can come up with.

@luigi de nichilo: When you post a message you should create a new thread (instead of posting the message in someone elses thread), but to answer your question there is an english saying "First in, best dressed". The best dressed scores are a play on that very saying. It simply displays who finished the game. The person who finished it first is displayed up top, while the person who finished most recently is displayed at the bottom.

by Wingy » 2006-08-31 13:51:56 #5778

Hey ... I have an idea ... what if on the my stats page ... you made each column where it would sort the column by clicking on the heading. I will try to explain: The headings on the MY STATS page are "Time" "Moves" "Name" "Game" "Achieved". If possible ... could it be that each of those (except of course "Name") could be a link to a page that sorted the data in that column for your scores from say best to worst ... that way if you were wanting to try to improve your worst game as far as number of moves ... you would click on "Moves" ... and they would show in order. Shoot ... I hope this makes sense ... does anyone else understand what I am saying ... and does that sound like something good??

by fraug » 2006-08-31 15:46:00 #5779

I get what you're saying. I've always liked the idea of being able to sort the time descending instead of ascending but I don't know about moves. I don't really think ranking or sorting of moves makes much sense since each game has a different move count and the difference in moves doesn't hit your score as much as the difference in times.

by fraug » 2006-08-31 15:47:22 #5780

Right now what I do is just scroll through to the last page and bookmark it, updating it whenever it gets to a new page. That way I can go straight to my worst times.

by Wingy » 2006-09-01 13:37:25 #5781

Perhaps the MY STATS screen could show what your rating is for your time in a game beside the time ... and also what your rating is for the number of moves beside the moves ... these numbers are located now on the "View all statistics for this puzzle" screen in the green box ... below is how one line of the the MY STATS screen could look ... maybe? :

Time Rating Moves Rating Name Game Achieved
75. 2:28 12/37 175 20/37 Wingy #9 August 13, 2006

And then be able to sort by the first number of your rating under number of moves ... or the same way with the first number of your rating for your times. Shoot ... I am just thinking out loud here ...

Man, I really don't like game number 9 by the way ... lol ....

by Wingy » 2006-09-01 13:38:12 #5782

Ooops ... that didn't come out looking like it did when I typed it ... but maybe you get the idea.

by Adam Lyttle » 2006-09-01 14:45:15 #5783

I know what you mean @Wingy, and thats something that I wanted to do. I was concerned that it would add more time to the rank tally script that gets called every hour. But surely there is an easier way to do it.

Simple answer: I will look into it smile

by Wingy » 2006-09-01 14:53:24 #5784

Thanks Adam!