Menu

Question on timing?

by Ash » 2006-08-21 15:11:00 #4770

How are some of these quick times acquired? No matter how fast I click, or have all of the moves memorized..... I never get sub 1 minute scores.

So peeps how ares you all doing it this way??

Just curious

by Adam Lyttle » 2006-08-21 15:21:53 #5372

I remember reading a comment posted by Cory. I havn't seen him around for a while, but he was one fast player. He said that he played solitaire for years, it got to the point that he could see where cards should go within a split second. Unfortunately for me, this is not the case. I can barely break the 2 minute mark most of the time, let alone the 1 minute mark.

by Xavor » 2006-08-21 06:21:38 #5373

Yeah it's the practice. I played solitaire on my PDA during class at university here for the best part of a year - far more interesting than listening to certain professors.

It does get to the stage where you don't really need to look at the cards to be able to play them, it's kinda like driving along a route you travel every day - when your brain switches into automatic and you suddenly realise that you're home.

by Dragonchilde » 2006-08-21 17:19:46 #5374

I'm not sure how they can break the one-minute mark at all either. If I get lower than 1min 30secs on any solitaire game that's a great time for me. But yeah, the more you play solitaire, the faster you'll be able to go.

by fraug » 2006-08-22 14:18:42 #5375

Keeping amount of moves low also helps as well as the distance between moves. You wouldn't think it makes much of a difference but at least for me when doing a game in under a minute the distance from a pile on one side to the other is huge! I try to keep my next move as close as possible.

by Adam Lyttle » 2006-08-22 14:32:41 #5376

I think thats my biggest problem. I tend to cautiously put the cards down (I only bring the cards down that can help to move other cards from the columns). So every time I cycle through the deck I am using time and moves.

@Fraug and @Xavor: Do you commit the moves to memory or do you play every move possible?

by fraug » 2006-08-22 15:35:56 #5377

I usually play them all as they come for the first couple rounds until I catch on which cards are needed then memorize clicks through the deck for speed.

by Xavor » 2006-08-22 10:56:24 #5378

Ditto @fraug

by SuzyQ » 2006-08-23 10:09:35 #5379

I'm getting too old to remember much of anything!!! HA HA! Enjoy your memories to their fullest, you guys, while you still have them!!! One day, in the distant (or perhaps not too distant) future, yours will begin the almost inevitable decline, too. I'm grateful I was blessed with a great memory when I was young. It's still better now than those of a lot of my friends. Games like these keep your brain active and able for a lot longer, too. I think I can understand how Xavor and fraug "memorize" cards the way I did addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts when I was a child. Even now I don't need to do anything in my brain, with the numbers when adding or multiplying, etc., but instantly can come up with the sum or product just by seeing a problem.

by Xavor » 2006-08-23 12:38:30 #5380

Practice and repetition of the basic helps the more complex come easier. Decline is inevitable, but can be slowed as long as one practices every day cool

by fraug » 2006-08-23 15:00:52 #5381

I don't know what I'll do if my memory actually declines .. I have terrible memory retention as it is. I hardly memorize the the cards at all, mosly just the clicks and movements almost like a dance .. 123 .. 123..

by SuzyQ » 2006-08-23 15:54:00 #5382

Huh?!? I'm not clear about how you memorize clicks and movements. Also, how many times do you usually have to play a game to achieve your low time that shows? Same question to you, Xavor.

by Xavor » 2006-08-23 16:50:04 #5383

Most games I play (read complete) 3-10 times.
As to remembering moves, I don't know, I just do it. Usually the first 1-2 times I try and take things slowly so that my brain has more time to take in what cards are where, but I don't try to force my memory.
The only real advice I can give is keep trying, practice and relax.

by fraug » 2006-08-24 09:03:16 #5384

I usually play quite a few times trying to work out a low move count and then a good speed time. A lot more when Xavor keeps edging out my time wink As far as the click memory goes, I just develop a rythym of clicks and flicks of the mouse. When the times are under a minute I have clicks and flicks memorized enough that the cards could be blank and I would still be able to do it.

by mouse » 2006-08-27 08:00:34 #5385

I play a game about a hundred times x_x maybe not that many but it does take me several tries (and often several page refreshes if i mess up, which i always do) to get that low time. I have brain fog so i'm not so good at memorizing the cards but on a good day yes there is quite a bit of zen to it.... And the more you play that one game the more you "know" that one game so you can remember and feel the "rhythm" as fraug put it.
Also, it often comes down to how spastic my wrist goes with the clicking... i mess up by trying to click too fast sometimes!

by emm » 2006-08-27 15:26:56 #5386

Thanks guys, this was really informative! Now I'm getting addicted to the forum!