Menu

Winston Churchill in the dark streets shineth

by IamMissing » 2013-12-08 11:42:17 #5303

Today we older Americans remember Pearl Harbour Day. I might remember it a bit more than most due to my Hawaiian background listening to my mom's parents tell of how a bomb was dropped in their back yard on that quiet Sabbath morning. The weeks that followed Winston Churchill flew to meet Roosevelt on 12-23-41. On Christmas Eve as Roosevelt stood out on the WH porch he turned on the switch to light the Christmas Tree. If any of you enjoy American History, David Mccullough does this amazing story of Christmas 1941 and re tells the story of how Winston Churchill had never heard the words to Oh Little Town of Bethlehem and in the dark streets shineth. I hope you will find this at your local library in its DVD form, its just so full of Christmas Spirit, the Love of our Saviour Jesus the Christ and how the world full of conflict at this time it was Christmas that drove the most beloved Christmas songs to this day. I will be home for Christmas was written during this WWII Christmas period. If you a big fan of David Mccullough you will love this dvd and if its over 20 mins, i'd be surprised but most likely the best 20 mins you will invest for a quick tune up for this Christmas 2013. also if u need a chaser on this dvd...follow it up with this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPCK6kROno&list=FLdWQg-bGNNlX0Yqo7VjBGnA&index=5 (highlite control C to copy and control V to place in the address field, just incase we are not all on the same level of computer skills) this is a Caledonian Christmas carol and its about 300 yrs old. the video is amazing, the music is gonna make u cry so have kleenex at the ready and enjoy and realize that the Lord is what keeps us together vs tearing us apart. Enjoy and Mary Christmas! spelling is intentional robb

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-12-08 14:29:20 #9390

Thank you ! smile I love your spelling. I suspected, right away, that it was on purpose. smile

by IamMissing » 2013-12-08 17:27:50 #9391

no susan, thank YOU!

by harleyman » 2013-12-08 17:38:12 #9392

"What Should We Give To The Babe In The Manger" very fitting song, great selection Robb. smile

by IamMissing » 2013-12-08 14:44:32 #9393

thanks James...I just heard the tabernacle choir a few mins ago sing the song from the MTC in SLC Utah. they will be doing their entire month of Christmas Specials each Sunday now until the new year. Dec 13 and 14th is the big show so to say and not to be missed. Not sure if it will again be on PBS. If u have dish network, 9403 is the channel its KBYU. Its called Music and the Spoken Word. there are a number of rebroadcasts throughout the week so if u miss it..no worries. and if u have DVR there is your other option. Glad u like What Shall We Give. so thank you again James

by veronicarose » 2013-12-11 12:25:39 #9394

Thank you Robb. I just listened to 'What shall we give to the Babe in the manger' and very much enjoyed both the song and the accompanying video. It was beautifully done and really shows the deeper meaning of Christmas. When I was teaching music a few years ago, I taught my 7-11 year old girls a version of that carol. My book said that it was originally Spanish. It had the same tune and similar words, but only 3 verses about bringing gifts to the baby Jesus.

by IamMissing » 2013-12-12 13:16:33 #9395

hi veronicarose I suspect that the version you had was the original which is from Caledonia but i can see where the Spanish background would come thru. Caledonia was a very near neighbor to Spain and i would suspect and its only best guess that the carol became just as popular in Spain as it was in Caledonia. Must have been just a real treasure teaching 7-11 yr old kids to sing this carol/hymn. Thanks you for taking the time to view the video and ur right its just an emotion that mere words cannot describe. thanks again and Merry Christmas to you. Robb

by King of Hearts » 2013-12-13 13:44:54 #9396

Robb... I haven't watched the video yet, but most likely I will, since I see others have enjoyed it. That is some interesting bit of history that you shared.

by IamMissing » 2013-12-13 15:40:07 #9397

i think was is so interesting is how the words to Oh Little Town of Bethlehem came about, if u are able to check this out DVD out at ur Library i found it the ah ha moment that the Spirit of the Lord descended on this choir/organist back in the 1800's woke up and wrote the words where he had been struggling for months. he had the music already and was asked to put words to the music. then we learn in 1941 Winston Churchill had never heard Oh Little Town of Bethlehem how does that happen? This dvd is now a Christmas Classic and a far cry from Miracle on 34th St or Home Alone. Hope u all can find a copy of the DVD and add it to your Christmas traditions.