Menu

New Computer

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-08-04 15:42:01 #5292

Hi, Robin ! This is in response to your question on August 4, 2013. I did not buy a "kind" of computer. Mr. Dewberry, of Dewberry Computers and Supplies, built my computer to accommodate my needs. (The first time I walked into his store, he spent two hours with me to see how we could accomplish what I had in mind.) He builds computers for individuals and companies in the area, out of town, and even has clients in Arizona and California. ~ I am seriously considering writing a book about the kitties so I customized the computer for that purpose. At this time, I already have over 60 memory cards of pictures and videos taken of the kitties. I need to load those and also back them up (a time or two). So I got a computer with a 1.5 TB primary drive, with a secondary "mirror" drive of the same size. Whatever I do on one is automatically on the other one. Once I load all of the memory cards, the next step is to set up folders for each kitty by name, one for Group Pictures, etc. Then, as I browse through my hundreds of pictures, I will drag and drop them into the appropriate folder. That is why I need all of the space. Then I have a 2 TB external drive that automatically backs everything up once a week (or I can manually back things up if I have done a lot of work with the pictures). So, I have my own back-up system without having to go to the Cloud. I had done tons of research and asked a lot of people for input. I was almost ready to order a Hewlett-Packard when I called my friend, Dolores, to get ideas from her. She said, "Oh, I do not have a kind. Mr. Dewberry builds my computers. You need to go see Mr. Dewberry!" From talking to both of them, I knew this was going to cost me a pretty penny -- and it did. But Mr. Dewberry uses top-of-the-line components and, just as important, is a phone call away whenever there is a problem. He and his assistant loaded everything on my computer before delivering it. Each year, I take my computer in and he cleans it -- inside (spyware, viruses, etc.) and out (lots of dust from kitties and litter!), updates Norton, and I am set for another year. Actually, Barry, his assistant, has written a couple of books himself and said he will be happy to help me in any way he can as I go through that process! Since I have limited knowledge of problems that arise with the computer, it is great to be able to call them when something is not working right. I did not really have the money but I got a card (no interest for 18 months) specifically to buy the computer and new tires (which I needed). I will be paying that down for some time, but I really needed those things NOW !!

by King of Hearts » 2013-08-04 15:53:46 #9338

Susan , that was a good route for you to take. You get service with it. I am sure you will do well with your book, as you have excellent communication skills in writing. The best to you on your book. All sounds very interesting. The amount of hard drive space is incredible. I think your investment will serve you well. I would think it would cut your time in half having the computer designed for your needs for writing your book and arranging it. Sounds all very nice.

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-08-04 16:17:12 #9339

Thanks for the support and kind words, Robin ! smile They mean a lot as, at times, I find myself second-guessing having spent all of this money. (It ended up costing more because I also needed a new printer and monitor.) But I wanted to spend what was necessary at the beginning instead of having to spend more later on to upgrade as my need for space, etc. increased. I am writing some things as they come to me now but I will not get into seriously working on the book until (sadly) I have lost more of the kitties. Since they are all getting older, I still have a great deal of work to do to take care of them. ~ Plus, I am still cleaning out from the flood I had in my basement two weeks ago ! A pipe broke overnight so I had lake that greeted me that morning. Ugh ! Two friends from northern Virginia came down last week to help me with the clean-up. There is still some drying out to do ! sad

by King of Hearts » 2013-08-05 17:17:21 #9340

I am sorry to hear about your pipe burst, Leaks are not ever fun to deal with , nor are they convenient. The cleanup is quite task oriented. At least you had some good friends to help you out. Did you run fans to help dry out your basement, so mold or mildew will not grow or open windows to get good air flow ?

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-08-05 17:42:02 #9341

Yes, I have a stand-up oscillating fan and also a dehumidifier going non-stop ! The plumber said that it could have been much worse and that I had everything under control. I looked at it this way -- it is certainly material for another chapter in my book ! I would love to have seen how the kitties reacted as they heard all the noise and saw water creeping their way ! smile

by 57 Feral Cats » 2013-08-05 07:12:49 #9342

I want to say that William was a great help during my search for the new computer. When I told him about all of my memory cards (which will probably double over the next five years) and what I want to do with them, he very kindly said, "Susan, I do not think you can do that on your current computer." Thus began the search. He served as a great consultant !! smile

by zaphod » 2013-12-08 14:27:39 #9343