Menu

Kugel Recipe

by IamMissing » 2013-05-22 08:18:05 #5281

Lynn C if I am not mistaken, you offered to give out your famous kugel recipe...I'd like to take u up on your offer if its still available? Perhaps rather than emailing it might be best to post it here? I dunno..you are certainly welcome to email it to me if you prefer connor.oborn22945@gmail.com and thanks. can't wait to make it..and hope its easy!

by IamMissing » 2013-08-05 10:36:31 #7906

anyone have an easy recipe for fruit kugel? noodle kugel with a can of fruit cocktail is about all i know...there must be a recipe better than this one...dare i hope?

by zaphod » 2013-08-05 16:44:45 #7907

Sorry "I Am". I am not very good at giving recipes as I am not very experienced with cooking or baking. I have however some memories from childhood. In our house it was not made with fruit and maybe what I remember is not what you are looking for. We did not make it with fruit, only with raisins. We called it Noodle Auflauf and it is basically a backed custard with egg noodles. It is very rich, loaded with calories and fat and we made it only for special occasions. But basically we boiled egg noodles in salted water, drained them and in a bowl mixed it with about 1/2 stick of melted butter, 1 lb cottage cheese. 2 cups of sour cream, 6 eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, lots of raisins and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon. Preheated the oven to 375 and then backed it until the top was golden brown. That is all I remember and I am sure Lynn C. can give you a clearer and better recipe if we are talking about the same thing.

by zaphod » 2013-08-05 16:46:08 #7908

Sorry "I Am". I am not very good at giving recipes as I am not very experienced with cooking or baking. I have however some memories from childhood. In our house it was not made with fruit and maybe what I remember is not what you are looking for. We did not make it with fruit, only with raisins. We called it Noodle Auflauf and it is basically a backed custard with egg noodles. It is very rich, loaded with calories and fat and we made it only for special occasions. But basically we boiled egg noodles in salted water, drained them and in a bowl mixed it with about 1/2 stick of melted butter, 1 lb cottage cheese. 2 cups of sour cream, 6 eggs, 1/2 cup of sugar, lots of raisins and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon. Preheated the oven to 375 and then backed it until the top was golden brown. That is all I remember and I am sure Lynn C. can give you a clearer and better recipe if we are talking about the same thing.

by IamMissing » 2013-09-18 12:08:49 #7909

zaphod...hey..i think this is a great basic recipe for kugel...i am gonna try this and add a can of fruit cocktail, cinnamon, and all the other stuff...and bake it..I don't think i thought it was baked...duhhh...thanks a million...while not Jewish, I have lots of Jewish friends and i suspect it will be a great dish to bring over when im invited to their homes for dinner. my rugala is fantastic according to my Jewish workout partner Dr Judy Bressler. her mom LOVES my rugala and said its the best she has ever eaten. so on to making kugel...thanks again.

by zaphod » 2013-09-24 17:52:20 #7910

Thank you I am missing for answering. If you will make it make sure you do it similarly as you would make a baked custard. I did not try it with fruit but it could be good. Let my know how it turns out.

by IamMissing » 2013-12-01 16:23:53 #7911

Zaphod...YES i took ur recipe added a can of fruit cocktail at the last ingred and then baked the mixture as if i was baking a custard. it was AWESOME and was exactly how i remembered it at Steve Silberman's home many years ago. His wife did not have a recipe it was something she said was a lil of this and a lil of that it was the custard part that makes the kugel and then do the lil this and lil that after the boild noodles. thanks for your recipe.

by zaphod » 2013-12-01 16:56:41 #7912

Thank you for remebering me. It means a great deal to me to be recognized as helpful what I was always tryimg to be.I am glad you took my recipe. I beieve that the baked custard is the way to do a Kugel. I was also touched by your memory of your father and you expressed yourself beautifully about it. It is only the memotry what we retain from our departed loved ones. Be comforted,

by IamMissing » 2013-12-02 15:49:46 #7913

zaphod, well its been quite a day for me on the SC board. all from a comment from Pat Logan. when i read his statement i just felt he may not have had the life of caregiving i have had and how ppl with all kinds of deformities physical emotional or a incurable disease gets thru their day of existence. then i remembered John Grisham's eulogy he wrote about my dad. I forget the particulars on why he did write it but i do recall his interest in my dad's story. he later told me it was an easy eulogy to write for he had over a year to write it, compose it and gather info. he was not from warrenville as u most likely know, but he was in law school and had a heart for the divinity school near by and someone said there was a man he should meet. it was my dad. I must say Im really impressed with your kindness and heart you have extended yourself toward me so openly and i need to thank you for your hand of friendship. as u have gathered i have had some issues here on SC. some i brought on my own from my mental illness and being off meds the other stuff i guess i lack social skills to communicate in some politically correct way. so i struggle. Im going to remake the fruit kugel wednesday. i forgot to add cinnamon! or if i did not enuf and a bit more vanilla extract will be needed as well...you have added to my day my friend, so thank you. robb ps i sent james aka harley the adam emory albright paintings of my dad when he as a kid as they are maked on page four of the brochure from the warrenville historical guild and the Illinois Association of Museums as they honourd the Warrenville Historical Guild for this outstanding exhibit of Albright paintings that were flown in from around the country for this two week exhibit. I am humbled to look at these paintings and see myself in them for I look like my dad...who looked a lot like Paul Newman. again, thank you

by zaphod » 2013-12-02 16:42:15 #7914

Thank you very much for your kind words and the sincere sounding descriptions of yourself and your sufferings. You may not remember or you may, but we go back a .long time already. I am not able to give you now chapter and verse but one day you will find out how we were related. Meanwhile just dont take everything to heart. There are people who understand. Be comforted that you have friends and well wishers on SC. I am also gratified as I have found many friends here but there are also who care less. All the best to you and as I say you will always find some who understand you.

by harleyman » 2013-12-02 16:50:04 #7915

Robb, you missed what Pat was really saying, he simply meant that it is great to wake up alive as oppossed to not...smile

by King of Hearts » 2013-12-06 14:15:17 #7916

Hey Robb. I just wanted to give you my apologies concerning the the day I mentioned something about your typing.. It was really meant in a good way, but I think it bothered you, as you bring up it up on occasion. I am sorry I ever said anything about and it cause you to be overly mindful about it. I certainly don't want to add to anything you might be dealing with. I hope you will be relaxed about it now and your spelling as well. I can read and understand it . So, it is all good my friend. Blessings !!

by harleyman » 2013-12-06 16:00:29 #7917

Yeah Robb, we all make typos, I do it more often than not...smile

by claudine » 2013-12-07 14:55:19 #7918

I just know one thing,I could not get through one single day,if I did not have my Lord and savior in my soul.He is always there for those who ask him to come in.Remember his door does not have a knob on it.

by claudine » 2013-12-07 15:37:26 #7919

Iammissing if you would not mind,I would love to have your rugala recipe, although I have no idea what tha is.I have to carry a dish to my granddaughters Christmas supper,and I would like to carry something new to our family.I love to read these post,but so far no one seems to want to talk to me.PLEASE!

by claudine » 2013-12-07 15:40:42 #7920

zaphod thanks for the Kugel recipe!

by harleyman » 2013-12-07 18:34:47 #7921

@claudine, I will talk to you anytime, just write me here or e-mail me...smile

by claudine » 2013-12-07 15:30:11 #7922

Hey Harleyman,have you got your fix for the day?I think today is a easy one,and I am glad.I would like to be faster,but my eyes want move that quick.Have a good rest of the day.

by harleyman » 2013-12-07 17:01:52 #7923

Back at ya @claudine, yes it was an easy one today... you have a spectacular day smile

by zaphod » 2013-12-07 17:03:45 #7924

@claudine. I gladly talk to you anytime. Seemingly only James and I exchange here ideas. I was also interested in Rugelach and found recipes on Google. Recently I went to an office pre Christmas lunch and prepared some bisquit size quiche with avocados and put them on a star shaped filo pastry and it was a great success.