Menu

A guide to low moves

by NanoResistor » 2012-11-10 14:00:04 #5233

Hi there! I thought I might help out a bit by sharing some of my strategies in finding low moves. If anyone else has any other tips go ahead and share as well smile 1. Play to enjoy smile Doesnt help if youre frustrated. 2. The first couple games I always try and move every card I can to get a feel for the cards. 3. I then limit what I move based on the cards I found. Try not to move low ranked cards if you dont have to as they most likely can go straight up eventually. 4. The same goes for cards in the draw pile. Sometimes when you dont realize it a card in the draw pile can stay there and move straight to the foundation later. 4. A lot of times lower moves come from watching what suit you place on what. If you have been playing the 10D on the JC the whole game but the JS is also open you might try the other card. 5. Adding onto the previous tip. Keeping suits together also help a lot of times. Like keeping hearts with clubs and diamonds with spades or vice versa. 6. Although a very rare event, sometimes playing a card up to the foundation and then a few moves later moving that same card back down can lead to the lowest moves. Wish I could remember one of the games in which that was needed. 7. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Overall just be mindfull of what cards you are moving as you may not have to move it and still end up in the same place you would have if you did move it.

by MrWabbit » 2012-11-10 14:57:56 #7462

NanoResistor, thank you so much for sharing your strategies.

by MrWabbit » 2012-11-12 13:58:22 #7463

NanoResistor, I have a question for you, and/or any another consistent low move achiever who would like to answer. Do you write out notes or do any card mapping to help aid yourself in finding these low move paths or do you do it all by memory? I do not think that I will ever be able to be a consistent low move achiever because of my inability to remember well. However I am glad to say that I am much better than I used to be at it by learning some things to look for.

by fizzbut » 2012-11-12 16:41:49 #7464

all memory here, which now that I think about it is a wonder in itself. I do find myself playing several more times because I can not remember where a card or two are buried but I sludge through it. As for other tips, I look for what does not work as much as I do for what does. Some things you just have to move such as todays game @#2407, the 10C and 9H have to move because there are lower clubs and hearts beneath them. If you know what has to move then it starts narrowing it down to what cards you may have some options with.

by NanoResistor » 2012-11-13 16:44:25 #7465

I do it by memory as well. Its mostly just remembering a few key cards and the rest just fall into place when you learn a few of the tips to minimize moves. Although, like Fizzbut said sometimes youll get thrown for a wild goose chase and have to rethink a few moves.

by King of Hearts » 2012-12-16 08:05:17 #7466

I don't consider myself in the low move achiever category just yet, but make a noble effort to do so. I use memory as well as mapping it out. At the very beginning of the game, I will go through the draw pile and write down the cards as they would be drawn. I mark key cards with symbols after them to draw my attention. I record them in groups of four. For me this aids in memory when I write them down. Then I proceed to do the same with the cards in the columns, recording them as they become unveiled. This could help with beginners, to help them get a handle on each game. I will admit, this is a lot of work, but I think it is advantageous when it comes to working on low moves. Usually , it is best to use cards of suits found in the columns unless they are on the bottom. You might want to consider using that particular card of a suit in the draw pile; such as if you know that the 10H is at the bottom of one of your columns, you would then decide to use the 10D first in the draw pile. Look for situations that would dictate using preferred cards over other cards. Usually in each game there are a few choices to use one preferred card of a black or red suit first. Thus we have the clues at hand that are disclosed during game play. Many thanks go out the ones who left clues for the clueless, which has been a source of learning tools for me. Thank you NanoResistor and Fizzbut for your imput on Solitaire.