Menu

On the topic of cheating

by fizzbut » 2012-09-29 11:41:54 #5223

May I offer this opinion. The old adage that "cheaters never prosper" may apply here. What keeps most of us coming back to play the game is the challenge,especially those competing for the top rankings. I have noticed that those who have legitimately been accused of cheating are not vying for the top spots in the rankings. I assume because it offers no challenge and quickly becomes dis-interesting. Since their scores equally effect all of us plus the scoring system ejects those scores every 30 days, I find it of little consequence. Lastly, please remember, it is a game and we have plenty to enjoy in spite of them.

by fizzbut » 2012-09-29 11:42:17 #7417

by fizzbut » 2012-09-29 11:43:37 #7418

why does every time I inject an apostrophe it injects a '????

by Hamlette » 2012-09-29 14:56:29 #7419

There is a glitch in the system as to the apostrophe. It happens to me too. You just have to remember not to use it.

by Hamlette » 2012-09-29 15:01:53 #7420

Oh, I forgot to add, great and convincing post. The real talent and fun in this game, as you taught us all, is low scores. If this game just relied on speed, with no thought involved, I would not have been interested. That skill seems better suited for the first computer game I ever played, pong, and a million other computer games like it. I love solving the puzzle. It is like bridge. Makes you think and remember.

by prez obamy » 2012-09-30 06:02:16 #7421

The cheaters do not bother me. But my "evil side" kind of enjoys it when someone rats them out.

by dphifer » 2012-10-01 10:12:06 #7422

I agree with all of you. Games are for having fun and challenging your brain. I have never been very competitive, just love to have fun!

by MrWabbit » 2012-10-01 14:29:39 #7423

Fizzbut, thanks for bringing this up. It appears that just about everyone here thinks that only the ones going for fast times can cheat. Granted, I suppose that it does not require as much computer savvy to do that compared to finding low moves. However, let it be known that it is far from impossible to cheat at low moves too. Just Google

by fizzbut » 2012-10-02 12:14:22 #7424

Well it is a little more then the challenge. You got solitaire with company, too. As for cheating on low moves, if I understand right the programs you mention only expose the cards and where they are. They do not give you the sequence that leads to lowest moves, granted it probably makes it easier. Those programs do not bother me that much here because we are allowed to play the games over and over again and memorize where cards are, which in a purest sense is cheating in itself. Plus on most days we "cheat" for each other by giving clues. I still play for the challenge and rarely look at the clues or would think of using any other cheats before I reach lowest moves for the satisfaction of figuring it out on my own. If I can figure it out what someone else used cheats on, then that betters my accomplishment rather then lessening it. I think Adam figured out a pretty good scoring system that limits cheating and its effects on others, which is why after what I think is 6 years it is still a great site. I guess my ultimate point is, do not let the cheaters bother you and enjoy the game and each other. (you see why I posted this in the Forum instead of the comments. Way too wordy. smile)

by fizzbut » 2012-10-02 12:31:54 #7425

Oh and on the topic of speed, an old player named @fraug once posted a youtube of him playing a game in 34sec (it has been removed since). I think his best game was 29sec. I did the math on it once and it is not any faster then a fairly slow typist. But I suppose it fairly fast for someone who types with only one finger. I always thought the real talent of those programs that will play the cards for you is to get them to play them that slow so that it is not totally obvious that you are cheating. A computer should be able to play all the cards up in a second.

by MrWabbit » 2012-10-02 13:19:13 #7426

Fizzbut, here is something you might like to take a look at. Its called "Bills Solitaire Tester" and can be found at this link - http://www.roziturnbull.com/bill/Solitaire/solitaire.htm It does not have a feature in it to find lowest moves for a given game. However it does have the feature to import a given card set via the file menu. It cannot be used to cheat here so I dont mind posting it. It is quite an interesting program. It has logic tables where a person can set how the program plays a game. The ingenuity of some people just amazes me. After doing more searching on this topic it does appear that there is no easily found, readily downloadable or online program to find the lowest moves for a given game. Yet there is no doubt in my mind that the above mentioned program could be modified, or one written from scratch to achieve such a goal. It would not surprise me that somewhere it already exists.

by MrWabbit » 2012-10-02 13:19:50 #7427

On the subject of speed, a 29 second game does not seem believable does it? I suppose if the cards were dealt in such a manner where most everything came up in an order that facilitated mainly very short card moves it could be done. I cannot see myself ever achieving a mid 30

by fizzbut » 2012-10-03 12:00:44 #7428

Well on Mahjong Craving you have a minimum of 144 moves. I do not know what an easy for speed game would be but since the game plays up the balance of the cards after they have all are exposed, I would think it is maybe a little more the half those moves. There was a time that I thought 1 min on Mahjong would be impossible. However, back when my hands found it a little easier to do that much repetitive motion I got into quite a competion with @fraug and we both got our times down sub 1 min, Mind you it takes intense dedication and is also at least partially responsible to why my hand objects to such treatment. I am sure you could find a score in the 30s as you are only 2 secs. off now.

by MrWabbit » 2012-10-04 10:30:46 #7429

Well Fizzbut, you were right. When I was going back over some of the games I had not posted on I did something I thought I would never do. I broke the 40 sec barrier and did 38 sec on Game #2354. Wow, before I came here I would have never believed this!

by fizzbut » 2012-10-05 10:56:47 #7430

Much of what we can not do is all in our head.

by Judy » 2012-10-07 06:53:13 #7431

I wasn't aware you could cheat. I guess i need to read the rules.